Monday, July 23, 2012

New Running Shoes

Since beginning running a few weeks ago I have been increasing my run interval thanks to the CT5K (Couch to 5k) app and have learned a ton in that time. One of the things that caught up to me quickly was the show choice since when I bought them I did not make the time to research what shoe to wear and for that matter I did not consider that a proper shoe must exist for a given runner and that assumption has brought me some pain in various areas which I have had to overcome. My initial show choice was the New Balance 580v2 which as it turned out that for a person with normal arches in their feet will be forced to overpronate; which is to say that it causes the knees to roll inward from the support type and direction of the shoe and will cause the knee cap to ride slightly 'out of track' which leads to runner's knees.

Before getting to the next show choice, I made another knucklehead assumption and that was how tight to lace my shoes. With the New Balance's, I felt that the knee pain along with oncoming arch pain in my right foot was the result of the shoes being too loose and that it was perhaps from feeling as if my shoes were coming free as I ran and tensing my feet as I ran. I tied up my laces as tight as I could the next run thinking that I can resist the impulse to tighten my feet if my shoes were cranked on and had no worry of them coming loose....... and was I ever so wrong. As it turns out, I should have loosened my shoe and the cause of arch pain outside of the shoe being the improper fit for that given runner (me), I was likely just tying them too tight to begin with.

I was fortunate that the folks over at Olympia Sports where I bought my shoes let me exchange them and the new shoes I chose (after researching first) is the Nike Lunarglide+ 4. The shoes does not make me pronate or supinate and all the reviews I read are true; they are amazingly comfortable. I still have an ache in my right foot but I suspect that it is not the shoe, but my foot healing from a minor injury to the arch after over tightening the laces with the New Balance 580v2. I've had a few runs with the Lunarglide and they certainly do perform to the hype, and if you are looking for a comfortable running shoe, consider trying them.

5 comments:

  1. so are you saying that the 580 is good for some one that has collapsed arches?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great question. I would say try it. Buy them from a reputable seller with a good return and exchange policies and you should be able to try them without worry of financially committing to them.

      Another thing to consider are inserts which may aid with the collapsed arch. Let me know how it goes for you!

      Delete
  2. So if someone has problems supination, then these shoes would be a good plan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, problems WITH supination . . . can't write today.

      Delete
    2. Good question, I suspect that they would as I tend to overpronate. Buy them from a reputable seller with a good return/exchange policy and you should be able to give them a whirl. You will find out if they work for you within the first if not second run.

      Delete