Monday, May 21, 2012

Developing some BBQ sauce, and other miscellaneous things

Warmer weather has just about arrived here in Massachusetts and it's time to resume some regular BBQ. I get to a point on any projects where I simply need to take a break before something I enjoy doing feels like a job or a chore and ardent transforms to arduous. Well, I hit that point recently with watches and don't worry; I am getting back to it but I simply need time away from it (I am super excited about an upcoming new dial design which I plan to use on a Molnija 3601). Well, about the BBQ sauce idea for something different to my everyday.

Spicy BBQ sauce that is purchased at a store typically ends up being spicy for the sake of spicy and without flavor, which I find pointless as spicy should be a complex flavor of its own and not just about the bite and kick that it can produce. I have been dialing in various methods of savory, sweet, and spicy to come up with a general purpose BBQ sauce that works on a broad range of things. Typically I have been mixing said sauce concoction cold but I am getting to a point where I know I will have to start heating up some of the ingredients to get them to behave as I want them within the sauce.

As for the ingredients for the sauce, keep in mind these are not final and will be altered;

Worcestershire sauce
Frank's Red Hot
Sriracha
Jalapeno pepper
Molasses
Mango
Apple
Bourbon
Salt
Pepper
Garlic
Onion
Paprika

As soon as I discover the ratio and method, I will be back to post the results and final ingredients.

I started working on the IWC and the Phenix movement (Circa 1902 and 1930 respectively) to switch up my watch work to keep it interesting for myself and also that they are not the typical SWC watches that I will be making out of them so it still feels like a break from the usual. The IWC was in an earlier post (http://iwanttomakeeverything.blogspot.com/2012/03/iwc-caliber-57-19-ligne.html) where I dropped it off to A. Cohen of Boston who helped me locate a replacement mainspring for the watch. The mainspring as it turns out was interchangeable between a a New York & Co. 18 size pocket watch mainspring.

Original Mainspring


With the mainspring replaced, the IWC ticks away strongly but still have some minor issues to work out with the the rest of the gear train and I suspect a good cleaning and oiling should take care of the issues.

As for the Phenix movement, I need to take it apart for a good cleaning. Looking at it it appears that it may have survived a fire or worse. The movement and dial is covered in soot which is suggestive of the fire I suspect and yes, the balance moves freely and I can add tension to the mainspring, it will not tick reliably. See the pictures below to see why;


I came across a French site (http://www.diju.ch/f/notices/detail/7052) that had some info regarding the Phenix watch company which I thought I would re-post here;

The genesis of the Phenix factory begins in 1873, the day Julius Dubail, Jean-Baptiste Joseph Monnin and Frossard Porrentruy founded the company "Dubail, Monnin, Frossard & Co.". On 6 May 1899, she was named "Company of Watchmaking Porrentruy" and also acquired buildings Bassecourt. Jules Dubail leaves the company this year and founded an industrial society to Delle. Six partners are then head of the company: Roussel Galle, Jean-Baptiste Monnin, Louis Dubail, Adolphe Dubail, Joseph and Joseph Frossard Dubail. In February 1902, the "Company Watch" is liquidated. However, it is reborn under a new name "Phenix Watch Co SA, headed by new partners: Edward Boivin, Director, Gaston Daucourt notary Charles Boivin, industrial, Victor Donzelot merchant; Constantine Senn, Director, residing in Delémont. Jean-Baptiste Monnin will in turn create its own society "Monnin Rebetez & Co." and "Monnin & Cie in 1917, removed in 1941.

The Phenix company received several awards at World Fairs and national; La Chaux-de-Fonds (1881), Amsterdam and Zurich (1883), London (1884), Antwerp (1885), Rome (1888), Paris (1889 and 1900), Geneva (1896), Thessaloniki (1931). The company exports to Romania (from 1899), France, Belgium, Austria and Hungary (since 1900), England, Mexico and Denmark (since 1901).

Since the early twentieth century, the operation focuses on making the shows anchor, wristwatch and pocket watch and watch for cars and meters for rockets. It also manufactures all of its supplies. In the 1930s, the company occupies a hundred worker (s) and produces one hundred thousand watches per year. In 1934, the company's management uses Henry Knecht, then aged 24, charged with overall responsibility. A few years later he was appointed director. Since 1939, the Phenix is ​​taken up by the Cantonal Bank of Berne, then transferred to ASUAG (General Federation of watches, created in 1931) and surrendered in 1949 to a group of closely related Barns at Factory clock Nivada . The new Board of Directors consists of Robert Lerch, chairman; Alois Casutt, vice president, Paul Aeschbacher, Secretary; Jakob Schneider, Emil Schneider and Charles Schneider.

By 1961, Phenix is ​​part of the MSR (Manufactures of Swiss watchmaking met SA), along with three other manufacturers: Revue Thommen in Waldenburg, Vulcan in La Chaux-de-Fonds and Buser Freres & Cie SA Niederdorf. In MSR, Vulcan handles the business side, Phenix reassembly Revue Thommen production of blanks and Buser embarks on the construction of measuring instruments for pressure. The group will diversify its production and in 1972 on a turnover of 24.2 million francs, the share rises to 13.4 million watch, diversification products (mainly mechanical and electronic) 10.8 million. In June 1973, the MSR Group, headquartered in Biel, enlisted Marvin House, La Chaux-de-Fonds.

Of the 600 people employed by the MSR Group, the Phenix employs 162. The diversification of the group's activities had resulted in the introduction to Phenix, in 1967, an electronics department who worked full time on behalf of Blanks SA. The factory knows, however, serious difficulties and in 1981 it closed its doors. It then employs fifty people under the leadership of Roland Voisin. Part of the plant is leased to a workshop of watch, another vocational school. The building will be demolished in 1984 to be replaced by a shopping center and apartments.

In 1983, two former workers, and Jacqueline Nicole Mamie Pryxsbor, with the help of the group ETA, founded the company "Prisma".

Well, I think it maybe time to swap out a trigger on my 1911 that I broke recently...

No comments:

Post a Comment