Sunday, May 27, 2012

Sweet Tangy Zesty Spicy (STZS) BBQ Sauce

I mentioned earlier that I was getting around to developing a BBQ sauce and I have one that I liked and I thought I would share with you all here. Taking the sage advice of EMT, I have decided to step up my sauce game.

Lets start with the ingredients list:

2 Red Delicious apples
1 Mango
Dash of Nutmeg & Paprika
2 Jalapeno peppers
3 Habanero Peppers
1/2 Tblsp Olive Oil
1 Heaping Tblsp minced garlic
1 Cup Water
2 1/2 Cups Worcestershire Sauce
1/4 Cup Ketchup
1/8 cup Gulden's Mustard
1/8 cup Sriracha
1/3 cup Original Frank's Redhot
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
1/2 Tblsp sea salt
2 Tblsp Coarse ground black pepper
1/2 Tblsp Cayenne pepper
1/2 Tblsp White pepper
1/8 cup molasses
1/8 cup green Tabasco
1/2 Tblsp onion powder
1/2 Tblsp garlic powder
1/2 Tblsp Chili Powder

My initial issues I had to work out was excess char from various sugars and decided to cook the apples which helps break down the natural sugars. I leave the apple skin on, quarter them and put them on a plate, dashes of the Nutmeg and Paprika to cover the apples evenly than microwave for 6 minutes on high.


Next comes the food processor portion where I process together the cooked apples, mango (I leave the skin on and dice it), and the peppers together until it produces a chutney like consistency. Withe the chutney prepared, I add the olive oil and miced garlic to a pot large enough to hold around 2 liters of volume to infuse the oil with the garlic than pour in the chutney and the cup of water while stirring and drop the heat to medium. It is really key from this point forward to constantly stir the sauce!

I stir in the rest of the ingredients one by one until thoroughly mixed and once every ingredient is stirred in, drop the heat to a simmer and cook for the next 20 minutes and yes you guessed it, stirring the whole time. As for an order of ingredients, I do not really have one, typically I put in liquid, than Newtonian fluid, than dry ingredients. This recipe will create around 7.5 cups of sauce and this is the mild recipe. For the hot recipe, double up the hot sauces and add 1 more Habanero and for extra hot, I substitute Ghost peppers for Jalapeno peppers. If you try this, let me know your thoughts on it.

1 comment:

  1. Ian made this while visiting home this weekend. Fantastic!!!!!

    ReplyDelete