Tuesday, August 14, 2012

SQL 2008 R2 SP1 0x84B20001 error

I recently built out a SQL 2008 R2 server and went to apply Service pack 1 and came across error code 0x84B20001 where it specifically error on RS_Server_Adv. Initial digging on the web states that I should run a repair installation of the shared components path with the original media which did not fix the issue and still has the same error. The error occurs at the beginning of the installation of SP1 which suggests that it is checking the installation to verify that it meets requirements such as version and installed components.

The RS_Server_Adv is the Reporting Services component which I installed because it was a specific requirement for a project and one I rarely ever install. Since I suspected that the error was checking installed components first, I crawl the registry to find that there is indeed a registry key called RS_Server_Adv at HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSA=RS10_50.YOURINSTANCENAME with a value of 4. Since it is a brand new build on a virtual machine, I take a snapshot and start altering the value, starting with 0 which did not fix the issue. Rebooted and tried again, still no go. Back to the registry and changed the value to 1 than tried the installation and what do you know, the installation works!

the installation completes and I reboot and ran SQL to make sure everything was working after the value alteration and everything seems to be working just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment